Thank you for your interest in my Duplex. Hopefully I can answer most of your questions here, but if I cannot please feel free to email me or call (but only call between 10am and 6pm please).
Is located in the Rosedale neighborhood of Gig Harbor. Just a five minute drive from the Albertsons, Target, Costco, Home Depot and other shops at the Burnham drive exit.
It is set on an almost hidden street, which has no signage. It shares the street with three other identical duplexes and a larger property at the end. Behind the property is a wet land area, which is downhill from the duplex and is part of the Puget Sound. The land behind the duplex is protected and hence guarantees that no future development can happen behind the property, preserving the nature setting.
My History with the Property
I came to own the property in March 2004. It was not running as a well occupied rental at that time. We quickly improved the marketing of the empty unit and to this day find Craigslist the quickest and easiest way to fill vacancies. I am selling as I own a Bed and Breakfast In Olympia and no longer live in the Gig Harbor area. This makes running and maintaining a rental quite difficult and inconvenient. My Bed and Breakfast is very much a 24/7 type of business.
Let me stress this is not a fire sale, short sale, foreclosure or distressed property. I am also not interested in having a Realtor list this for me. If you are a Realtor and have a buyer, I will pay you commission.
Upgrades and Renovations
Over the past 8 years we have made a number of improvements to both sides of the duplex.
- A large shared deck was added shortly before I purchased the property, and it is made of Trex.
- Both sides have been painted inside at various stages
- Side A has had a hardwood floating floor installed, with carpeting in the bedrooms and tile in the bathroom
- Side B has had tile installed in the bathroom through to the rear door, with carpet in the bedroom and lounge and existing laminate “wood” flooring in the kitchen and meals area
- The roof was replaced in 2008 (the carport roof was not)
- All opening windows were replaced in 2008 (large picture windows were not replaced as they function well)
- Hot water heaters have been replaced on both sides in past two years
- All heat is electric baseboard
- There is no air conditioning, the cedars and forest keep the place cool in the summer
- The exterior was painted in 2008 (including the carport)
- Power and lights were run to the storage sheds in each carport storage shed
- Side A: New counter tops in kitchen
- Side B: New vanity in bathroom
As a rental the bathrooms are ok. They are nothing fancy, and if I was to live there myself I would probably redo them completely. The shower inserts do show their age somewhat.
Since I have owned the Duplex I have found it extremely easy to rent. Typically since upgrading I have been able to ask $800 to $850 per side. I have not allowed dogs, but allow cats with an extra security deposit. Currently one tenant is in the third month of a one year lease, the other is on a month to month lease. This could be advantageous for potential owner occupiers, or they would be more than willing to sign a new lease.
You can find independently acquired information on the Duplex at Zillow.com, here is the listing.